blog banner photo PhotoGrid_1421873873020-1_zpsc01ea8a5.jpg

Monday 28 October 2013

Spoons I need spoons!


Making appointments when you have a chronic illness can be difficult. It can be even more difficult keeping them. This is because our conditions are so unpredictable and we don't know from one moment to the next how we are going to be. This means that we often end up needing to cancel appointments, sometimes at the last minute. Even visits to the doctors, which I know sounds silly but sometimes although we need to go to the doctors there is just no way of us gettin there. If you have an understanding doctors then it's not too bad because they have more of an understnding of the condition.



Last week I was supposed to go to the dentist. I haven't been able to go for a while because I just haven't been up to it. But also because there is a set of stairs there that are really steep and there's just no way that I would have got up them. They do have a surgury downstairs though that each dentist takes in turn to do a surgury for people that cannot get up the stairs. So because these are only at certain times it was even more that I needed to book a specific time.. Whilst on holiday I chipped the cap off my front teeth, so there's yet anther reasn to go to the dentist. I have even made sure that I told them in advance that that needed doing so that I didn't have to make another appointment. 


However come the day of my appointment and I was in complete zombie mode. I should have known that I would not be going when I woke up and needed help to eat my breakfast as my arms were feeling very weak. After that I went straight back to sleep, into a deep sleep. About an hour before my appointment my Mum came in to help me. Or to try and help me! I just couldn't fully wake up at all. It was like when you've have had a general anastheatic and that moment just before you come round, when you can hear voices and are roughly aware of the mask on your face etc but you are still under the influence of the anastheatic. That is kind of what I was like. I managed to sit up and my Mum got me dressed but I couldn't do anything to help. I was like a rag doll as I get flopping and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was falling asleep sitting up as my Mum was trying to wake me. She was shaking me and shouting at me. I'm surprised she didn't go and get a bucket of water to throw on me. But it wasn't working. I could vaguely hear her shouting and shaking me but I just couldn't do anything about it. My eye just wouldn't open, or when they did they would soon be closed again. I don't know how my Mum managed to get me dressed. I'm just glad that she realised that there was no way that I was going to get down the stairs. I probably would have two broken legs by now. At least it happened when  I was on my bed. Not in a supermarket as has happened a few times. Not that my Mum was trying to get me dressed in a supermarket of course. There were just no spoons at my disposal. When I came round I was confused that I was fully dressed.



So obviously we've had to make another appointment. Fingers crossed I will actually get there. In other news though I have actually managed to get out of the house three days in row, which has been unheard of other than on holiday. I've done nothing wild, just an outing round a few shops as my Mum wanted to take a jumper back and I arranged to see a friend that was up visiting her Mum this weekend with her son that has just turned one so I needed to go get a present for him. Whilst out in the shops I made the most of it and been super organized and bought some Christmas presents. I know it's early and usually I dispair of seeing Christmas decorations/ gifts before Halloween but I am makin the most of being able to get out as the earlier episode shows you never know when you are not going to be able to get out. So it's best to be prepared. Of course when you don't have to be somewhere by a certain time and can go 'when you're ready' it is easier but as ever nothing is guaranteed.  



I'm feeling realy grateful that I've been able to get out. It's been a bit of a shock to be honest. A nice one though and of course I've needed my trusty steed with me. Now though I'm just planning on resting up properly for a few days. Don't want to push the apple cart too much.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to say how achey I was after my zombie ragdoll experience. The tops of my arms were so sore were my Mum was trying to keep me upright and to get me to wake up. Fibromyalgia playing up again. It's Halloween this week so I think zombie ragdoll is rather fitting. Won't require too much effort.

    ReplyDelete